Print using reporting services?

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Is there a downside to having the labels print via reporting services and using labels designed therein? The labels now seem rather hard coded, which makes modification of them rather difficult. Before we look at making a change, I wanted to know why it was done the way it is done currently, and if there are good reasons not to do it different.

joel

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2009 at 5:29 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Really only two reasons that, when coupled together, made us not initially use RS:

1. We already had this code that printed our formatted labels long before we had Arena or RS.  So it was pretty easy to create a provider for this new check-in module which used our old code.
  2. Our deadline did not give us much time to try to figure out how our print label provider code would talk with a defined print job on RS.  (We're basically RS n00bs.)

We've known since January the day would come when we would probably want a print label provider that used RS, but we've been hoping someone else would code it :)  Is this something you guys want to do?  (I think Austin Spooner @ New Covenant Bible Church would also want to use it.)

Developer
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I'm sure we would be willing to do it, but it might put a much longer delay on getting it working since I know nothing at all about RS.  I suppose I can check with the Arena guys and see if I can get their printing code from their Check-In and see how it works.  We have a go-live date of July 11, so I don't see us getting it done by then since we have other modules that are critical to going live that I need to build first.

Daniel

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM

RS has been on our radar for some time now.  Even during development on this project, I think Nick and I had several discussions on creating an RS provider.  Since our deadline was so tight, we really didn't have time to offer one out of the box for our first major release.

I think my RS kung-fu is pretty weak as well.  Creating the report is the easy part.  Though, I think I may have a copy of CCV's checkin app on my box at work.  I might be able to dig through that and figure out what David's doing to interface with RS via C#.  I've not had a chance to use the RS API yet, but I can't imagine it'd be terribly difficult... just takes time to figure it out.